Thursday, April 23, 2009

Reversal of Roles

I had a dream last night that I was being robbed.
There were men in my house, raiding closets and desk drawers looking for anything to steal.
I was tied to a chair, duct tape covering my mouth.
Naturally, I had no idea what was happening.
I saw a woman on the floor, her insides splayed across the carpet and her face cut from ear to ear.
I recognized that smile.
I invented that smile.
I kept wondering when the joke would be over, but it wasn't.
That's when I noticed it.
I felt the inside of my mouth with my tongue, and felt no scars.
What was happening?
Who was that woman?
Why was I the victim this time?
I struggled against the ropes, but they only dug into my skin more.
I rocked my chair from side to side, trying to find a way up.
I fell hard as the chair tipped over to the right.
One of the men walked over to where I was lying now, and ripped the tape off my mouth.
I couldn't see his face.
He demanded to know where something was, but I didn't know what he was talking about, much less where to find it.
He called me a liar and sliced my face open at the corners of my mouth.
The blade sliced completely through each cheek and into the gumline.
As I bled out on the carpeted floor beneath me, I couldn't tell if I was crying or laughing.
The shock had taken over.

When I woke up, I was back in my safe little room and Nygma was snoring.

-Mr. J

No comments:

Post a Comment